Friday, September 2, 2011

The Many Moves of Geneva

Happy Half Way Day!!!

Today, I am exactly 20 weeks pregnant.  If we go by the 40 week gestation calendar (which for some reason Jason and I debate?) then I am half way through the pregnancy.  Ummm...thank goodness.  Yes, this is hard work and I will be very happy to get back to marathon and triathlon training when this is all over which is much much easier.

We came through our diagnostic testing fairly unscathed and typically developing.  The doctor confirmed his earlier prediction that yes, we are having a girl.  We also got some great new photos.

This first shot is a pretty decent picture of her femur, knee, and then foot on the outside left edge of the view.  The developmental difference between the first and second trimesters is the formation of bone material.  Clearly, she is making bones and her legs seem really long to me.  



This next photograph is also a good picture of bones but gives us much more detail about Geneva's facial features.  If you make the picture big you can see the details of her nose and the shape of her eyebrows, cheeks, and chin.  Also note the long strait spine (yippie!).  That giant blob sitting on top of her is the placenta.  It is in a good position above the baby and not between the baby and the cervix.  Whew!




In order to rule out certain genetic abnormalities the doctor had to get a clear look at Geneva's face.  He was specifically looking for the formation of a nasal bone.  Through most of the visit Geneva had her hands in front of her face.  See below.  Quite a tricep and shoulder muscle huh?




So the radiology tech person used her little wand to move Geneva's hands and arms out of the way.  This was not very comfortable for me and I'm sure Geneva was a bit disgruntled too.  Her reaction is captured in the last picture.  Jason and I think this is hilarious.  She seems to be giving us a certain universal symbol.



Geneva is moving A LOT.  When the house is quiet and Luna barks at the air (there is never anything to bark at really) it surprises Geneva and she startles awake, extending arms and legs in all four directions.  I can also feel her moving legs and arms all around, this feels like she's making bubbles in one or another part of my uterus.  The newest and oddest feeling is when I feel like she is the size of a giant potato, laying in the bottom of my gut and is certainly going to fall out of my lower abdomen at any moment.  I have the urge to hold her in with my hands.  I'm pretty sure she is turning over and what I'm feeling is probably her head moving from one part of the uterus to another.  Usually shifting my position or letting my abdomen hang for a little while settles her back down.

Finally according to the measurements we received on Tuesday, Geneva is currently 12 ounces and rapidly growing, exploring herself and her environment.  She also seems to be interacting with us which has been really fun.

So, the next 6-8 weeks will be a quiet time.  We probably won't see her again until her birthday.  I now understand why people get the 4D images.  I'm going to miss watching her grow.




1 comment: