Thursday, June 23, 2011

Questions, Questions, Questions ...

by Jason

Question #1 “Are you excited?”


Are you psyched, I’m psyched, GET PSYCHED!!!  Of course I’m excited everyone; Tara and I have been talking about this untiringly for the past two years.  My joke used to go, “For people who don’t have kids, we certainly talk about it a lot.”  Those were fun times, as were the last five months – from the time we “pulled the goalie” to the positive identification on Sunday 5/22 at approximately 7:45pm.  Now it’s real – game on!

I’m 38 years old and about to have my first child, and I wish I could transfer my 38 year-old brain into my 25 year-old body for the next twenty years until my kids are in college.  Yes, I said “kids”.  No, Tara is NOT pregnant with twins, but it shouldn’t be a surprise to any of you that we’re already planning the second pregnancy.

Question #2 “Are you scared?”

Not anymore.  Ironically, I used to be quite afraid of pregnancy, childbirth, and infancy.  Those of you who know what I do for a living should understand that; and for the rest of you, let’s just say that I’m exposed to the worst of the worst stories.  But now that it’s a reality for us, all that is just a fading memory.  I look around and I am hyperaware of ALL the parents and kids around me.  Seriously, almost everyone does this at least to a satisfactory level – what do I have to be afraid of?  Well, if there is anything, I’m sure we’ll find out down the road.

I’m also very fortunate to have close friends who are great dads who all love their kids – lost of good examples to follow.  Plus, major props to my father and mother for being stellar examples!   So, no fear right now - I’m currently fearless.  Let’s see how long that lasts, huh.  This is not to say that I’m “winging” it; as if I could EVER do that.  This is typical Jason – pursue Plan A diligently and be ready to make adjustments as new information presents itself.  BTW, Plan A includes a lot of fun too.

Question #3 “Do you want a girl or a boy?”

I want an albino hermaphrodite midget – NOT.  Please stop asking me this, it’s an irrelevant question.  It’s the 21st century and hopefully Tara and I have the ability to raise our kids in a gender-free environment regardless of sex (egalitarian ideology or blatant futility?)

So in closing my first post I’d like to ask you all for a modicum of creativity, and please ask me an interesting question besides 1, 2, or 3 above.  Thanks for reading and …

… Rock on wit’cha bad self!

No comments:

Post a Comment